Even though it’s said that winter goes “out like a lamb”, we’re still very much in the “in like a lion” part.
Curl up with a warm mug of masala chai, the perfect companion in cold weather!
INDIAN MASALA CHAI
- 2 cups water
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 teabags
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk (can be whole milk, 2%, soy milk, etc)
- Pour water into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add whole spices, teabags, and sugar to water, simmering for about five minutes, making sure sugar dissolves completely.
- To this, slowly add milk. Bring milk to a boil on medium, lowering the heat when the bubbles come close to the top.
- When the bubbles recede, turn up the heat again, and repeat this process about three more times, taking care not to allow the milk to boil over.
- Remove chai from heat. Strain chai into two mugs through a sieve to separate the solids. Let stand for a few minutes, or until ready to drink.
- Enjoy with your favorite snack!
Note: Milk boils very fast, so be sure not to walk away during this part of the process.