It feels like a while since the holidays, even though it’s only been a month since Christmas. Can you believe it? I was feeling an itch to bake some cookies again, but wanted something simple. I had a box of cake mix in the pantry and came across a recipe that would allow me to create cookies from it. Really?
As these are red velvet, they are great for Valentine’s Day, or even the holidays with maybe green sprinkles or M&Ms. I kept it simple with cream cheese frosting and red sprinkles. They are even great eaten plain, with a crunchy exterior and chewy on the inside.
You really can’t mess up these cookies! And with only three ingredients, it all comes together fast enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.
RED VELVET CAKE MIX COOKIES
- 1 box of red velvet cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- icing and sprinkles (optional)
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Pour cake mix contents into a large bowl.
- Add oil and stir carefully with a large spoon.
- Whisk eggs separately in another bowl, then add to larger bowl.
- Combine ingredients with spoon until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Once dough comes together, use a spoon to scoop balls of dough, roll, and place onto baking sheets, approximately 12 per baking sheet.
- Using the bottom of a glass dipped in flour, press down flat on each dough ball until 1/4″ thick.
- Bake at 350° F for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and allow cookies to set for 10-15 minutes.
- Cookies may be eaten once cool, or refrigerated for up to 5 days. Wait until cookies are completely cooled before frosting and adding sprinkles.