I had this recipe for many years, cutting it out of a magazine and keeping it in my recipe box to make “someday”.
I came across the recipe again by accident and thought it would be fun to finally make it, especially since it has the fresh apple-y taste of unsweetened applesauce.
The streusel topping makes it seem fancy, but these muffins are really easy to whip up for a cozy day in!
APPLE STREUSEL MUFFINS
FOR THE STREUSEL
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup honey
- Mix streusel ingredients together in a separate bowl, until small clumps form, then set aside.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a mixer using the paddle attachment, mix the applesauce, egg, and honey until completely emulsified.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture until just combined.
- Pour muffin batter into greased muffin pan to about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle streusel topping over batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes and check for doneness by inserting toothpick or fork.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack.
- Enjoy with tea, coffee, or cocoa!
Recipe adapted from here.