If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner that is filling, and won’t make you miss the taste of meat, tofu is a great option.
The combination of sugar, salt, soy sauce, and chili flakes create a sweet, savory kick that will last long after the last bite!
KOREAN SPICY BRAISED TOFU
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- basil, chopped (optional)
- Remove tofu from package and rinse carefully. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Slice tofu down the center and slice thin squares, approximately 18-20 squares.
- Coat a nonstick pan with oil. Lay tofu squares in pan, so they don’t touch each other.
- Fry tofu for about 8-10 minutes. Flip each square carefully with a spatula. The underside should be golden.
- While tofu is frying, create your sauce.
- In a separate bowl, combine soy sauce, salt, sugar, chili flakes, and water.
- Once both sides are golden, transfer to a separate bowl.
- Add some more oil to the pan. Sauté onions and garlic. Add sauce and allow to thicken.
- To this, add tofu. Toss and braise for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with green onion and basil. Serve immediately with rice and (optional) stir fried vegetables.
Recipe adapted from here.