I love Fridays!
One reason I look forward to Friday is because I make pasta for our family dinner. I don’t have to think about it–it’s quick, easy, and delicious. I make different pasta dishes, but lasagna is my favorite.
Use the ingredients you have on hand that you know your family members will enjoy (see Notes below). Veggies such as zucchini or eggplant can be substituted in for the meat, if you wish. This lasagna is sure to be a hit with your family. Have a great weekend!
FRIDAY NIGHT LASAGNA
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb shredded chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can tomato sauce (not paste)
- 1/4 tsp of herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or basil
- Shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- 12 slices of Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp parsley (optional)
- black olives, chopped (optional)
For lasagna noodles:
- Boil noodles al dente according to package instructions.
- When complete, drain water and spray noodles with cooking spray. Set them aside in a separate bowl greased with cooking spray.
For meat sauce:
- Sauté onions over medium heat until translucent.
- Add chicken and stir.
- Add garlic and continue stirring.
- Pour in tomato sauce, stirring to combine.
- Sprinkle in herbs. Everything should be well combined and thickened.
For assembly and baking:
- Grease a 9″ x 12″ baking dish along the bottom and sides. Spread some meat sauce thinly as the first layer.
- Place 3 lasagna noodles lengthwise on the layer of meat sauce.
- Spread more sauce on the noodles.
- Place 4 slices of cheese on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on the cheese slices.
- Place the next 3 noodles on top of the cheese.
- Repeat steps 3-6 until all 9 noodles are used.
- The topmost layer should be shredded cheese sprinkled on top.
- Sprinkle parsley and olives if desired.
- Grease one side of foil with cooking spray, flip over, and cover baking dish. The cooking spray ensures that the foil will not stick to the cheese on the top layer.
- Bake at 375° F for 25 minutes. At 25 minutes, remove foil and return to oven to continue baking for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow lasagna to rest for 30 minutes. Then it’s ready to serve!
Note: I know this isn’t the traditional way of making lasagna, and everyone will have their own version, from using ground beef instead of chicken, to using ricotta cheese and béchamel sauce. Make this dish your own and feel free to sub in your own meats and cheeses.
KEEP ON READING…