In our house, we try to make breakfast or brunch special on Saturday mornings. One way we do that is by making these fluffy buttermilk waffles.
They are soft on the inside, and crispy on the outside, and are great with any of your favorite toppings.
FLUFFY BUTTERMILK WAFFLES
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- canola oil for griddle
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Pour buttermilk into well and crack eggs into buttermilk. Pour oil into mixture.
- Starting in center, whisk everything together, moving towards outside of bowl, until all incorporated. Do not overbeat.
- Pour 1 cup of batter into waffle iron, and cook according to your iron’s directions. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve with honey, syrup, fresh berries, and whipped cream!
Note: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, a 50-50 mixture of plain yogurt and water works too.