I know this post is super late, but I liked this sugar cookie recipe so much that I didn’t want to wait until next Christmas to share it!
Most roll out cookie recipes entail chilling the dough in the fridge for at least an hour, which adds to prep time. This dough rolls out straight from the mixer, and isn’t too sticky either—win-win!
I made some substitutions from the original recipe to create a (somewhat!) healthier alternative.
As these are roll out cookies that are shaped with cookie cutters, this recipe can be used for other holidays, such as Easter, Halloween, or even for birthdays!
NO-CHILL ROLL OUT SUGAR COOKIES
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, beat together sugar and butter, until creamy. Add egg and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove dough from mixer and roll out onto a flat surface. Use cookie cutters to create desired shapes.
- Place cut outs onto baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Keep cookies on baking sheets for 2 additional minutes before transferring to wire rack.
- If desired, wait until cookies are completely cooled before decorating with icing and sprinkles.
Recipe adapted from here.