I leaped out of bed one Saturday morning with a deep craving for pancakes. I took a quick look around, and seeing the hubby and kids still fast asleep, tiptoed to the kitchen, excited to get a head start on breakfast.
I opened the fridge door eagerly, mentally ticking off the ingredients I would need.
“Brown sugar, salt, vanilla,” I mumbled softly. I opened the fridge door wider.
I stopped cold. I had neither eggs nor milk. What?!
My stomach was rumbling. I fumbled through my other pancake recipes, scribbled on various scraps of paper, hoping for a way to still make the pancakes I so craved without using either milk or eggs.
I’m happy to say I developed this recipe which not only works, but the family can’t even tell the difference. Phew!
DAIRY-FREE EGGLESS PANCAKES
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups water
- 1/2-1 cup overripe banana
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash banana, and whisk in oil and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring carefully with a large spoon.
- Slowly add water one cup at a time, until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Mix well until there are hardly any lumps remaining.
- Grease a non-stick griddle or pan and pour batter in 1/2 cupfuls. Heat until bubbles form in the center, flip, and brown other side. Drizzle with syrup or honey if desired. Makes about 12 pancakes.