The cold and flu season is upon us, people, and I am one of those unfortunate souls who has gotten sick.
Thankfully, it’s nothing serious, but I’ve been battling a cough for over a week now, and when I’m not coughing during the day, I’m waking myself coughing at night. Every ten minutes. Or so it seems. Ugh.
This natural cough remedy is something I would drink when I was younger. The good thing is that you can drink it and not worry about any side effects (unless you happen to be allergic to any of the ingredients).
It won’t put an end to your coughing, but you will feel some relief, and it will also help to open up your sinuses as well!
4 INGREDIENT NATURAL COUGH REMEDY
- 1-2 inches of ginger, sliced (even though the recipe is for dry ginger, fresh is usually what I have on hand, and works just as well)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon of ground black pepper
- 2 cups of water
- In a medium saucepan, pour water. To this, add ginger, garlic, and black pepper.
- Bring to a rolling boil, and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Pour into mug, straining out solids. Sip slowly, as the chukku vellam will be hot, and the ginger-garlic combo will give the mixture a “bite”. Makes 2 cups.