I sat under an oak tree one summer day, drinking iced tea and visiting with my mother.
“Don’t forget your girlfriends,” Mother advised, clinking the ice cubes in her glass.
“No matter how much you love your husband, you are still going to need girlfriends. Remember to go places with them now and then, and do things with them, even when you don’t necessarily want to. And remember that girlfriends are not only friends, but sisters, daughters, mothers, grandmothers and other relatives too. Women supporting and relating to other women is our responsibility and our gift.
What a funny piece of advice, I thought. Hadn’t I just gotten married? Hadn’t I just joined the couple-world? I was now a married woman, for goodness sake, not some young girl who needed friends!
But I listened to my mom. I kept in contact with my girlfriends and even found some new ones along the way. As the years tumbled by, one after another, I gradually came to understand that Mom really knew what she was talking about!
Here is what I know about girlfriends:
- Girlfriends bring casseroles and scrub your bathroom when you need help.
- Girlfriends keep your children and your secrets.
- Girlfriends give advice when you ask, sometimes you take it and sometimes you don’t.
- Girlfriends still love you, even when they disagree with your choices.
- Girlfriends laugh with you and don’t need canned jokes to start the laughter.
- Girlfriends pull you out of jams.
- Girlfriends don’t keep a calendar of who hosted the other’s last big party.
- Girlfriends will celebrate for your son or daughter when they get married or have a baby, in whichever order that happens.
- Girlfriends are there for you in an instant, and when the hard times come.
- Girlfriends listen when you lose a job or a friend.
- Girlfriends listen when your children break your heart.
- Girlfriends listen when your parents’ minds and bodies fail.
- Girlfriends cry with you when a loved one dies.
- Girlfriends don’t always tell you you’re right, but they usually tell the truth.
My daughters, sisters, family, and friends bless my life!
When we began this adventure, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would need each other…
…keep your girlfriends!
Photo credit: photostock / freedigitalphotos.net