I received the following email several years ago, but the spirit of it still rings true today:
- For the husband/wife who snores all night, because he/she is at home asleep with me and not with someone else.
- For my teenage daughter who is complaining about doing dishes, because that means she is at home and not on the streets.
- For the taxes that I pay, because it means that I am employed.
- For the mess to clean after a party, because it means I am not alone and have been surrounded by friends.
- For the clothes that fit a little too snug, because it means I have enough to eat.
- For the windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing, because it means I have a home.
- For all the complaining I hear about the government, because it means that we have freedom of speech.
- For the parking spot I find at the far end of the parking lot, because it means I am capable of walking and that I have been blessed with transportation.
- For the noise I have to bear from my neighbors, because it means that I can hear.
- For the pile of laundry and ironing, because it means I have clothes to wear.
- For weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day, because it means I have been capable of working hard.
- For the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours, because it means that I am alive.